I have not been very good at bringing a lunch with me to work, but I know that doing so is a necessary step on this journey to clean eating and a healthy lifestyle. So, I bought myself a cute but functional lunch bag, and last night I prepared my lunch for today. Fat-free plain Balkan-style yogurt with fresh raspberries and blueberries. A southwest quinoa salad which I made last night.
Here is the recipe for my southwest quinoa salad, more or less, because I made it up as I went along.
You need 1 cup quinoa, cooked with chili powder and cumin, then allowed to cool. I think I used about 2 teaspoons of chili powder and 1 teaspoon of cumin.
In a large bowl combine the following:
- the cooled quinoa
- roughly a half cup of frozen corn niblets
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and finely minced
- roughly a half cup of canned black beans, rinsed
- red onion, finely minced, as much or as little as you like
- red pepper, finely chopped
- a handful of chopped cilantro
- a couple pinches of Celtic sea salt
- juice from half a lime
- one tablespoon of olive oil
- one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar