8 tomatoes, quartered
1 onion, wedged
3 links Italian sausage, quartered (you could omit this or use turkey Italian sausage)
2-3 cloves garlic, still in skin
2-3 tbsp olive oil
salt and ground pepper
dried basil, oregano, parsley, and paprika, as much or as little as you like
10 ounces low sodium chicken broth
1. Put vegetables, sausage, and garlic on baking sheet. Drizzle with oil. Sprinkle with seasonings. Roast at 450F for 40-50 minutes, stirring after 20 minutes.
2. Remove sausages and slice; set aside.
3. Squeeze garlic out of skin and discard skin. Peel tomatoes, if desired.
4. Put vegetables in blender along with brown bits scraped from baking sheet. Blend until fairly smooth. You may need to do this in two batches.
5. Pour into saucepan with broth and sausages. Bring to a boil and serve.
Makes about 4 cups of soup.
Per 1 cup: approx. 229 calories, 9 g carbs, 15 g fat, 16 g protein (with sausage), 2 g fiber, 0 sugar